Welcome

Welcome to my blog about our family's journey with Autism Spectrum Disorder. My son, who was born in 2004, was diagnosed with ASD in 2008 and we've come a long way in the years since then.

Just keep in mind that any ideas, etc that I post here may work for my son and our family but may not work for everyone out there.

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Spring 2014 Update

Another year has come and gone, and once again, I am amazed at my son's progress.

He's now almost ten years old, and the top of his head is past my chin when I stand next to him. He's not only grown so many ways physically, his mental development has been outstanding!

Nowadays, I look at him and see a young man who still continues to bust every single myth about autism out there... I still marvel at his progress and still can't believe this is the same child who was almost non verbal, took meltdowns on a daily basis and didn't like leaving me or his father even for a second a short seven years ago.

Son has done more than just go into Grade 3 with flying colors. He has adjusted to a few new things at school, including his classroom being on the opposite side of the school amongst other things, new adventures, new friends and best of all, new horizons. He's an A and B student, one of the top students in his class overall, and one of the best math students in his school. He's a popular child, and has many friends. He's also the pride and joy of his teachers and TA, and he adores them. He hates summer vacation, or any break that keeps him away from his friends and the routines and challenges at school.

Last year, he was asked to participate in the Grade 2 Mental Math Competition at the Knowledge Festival in our area. It's held at my old high school... Son had never been there, and he was curious to see "Mommy's old school" as well as dive into his favorite subject, math, and show off his skills. Last year after the festival, we walked around and he saw his uncle's photo from his graduating class.

He also tied for second last year... Which was a huge accomplishment, and a big win in my book!

Fast forward to April 12, 2014......

This year, he was asked to represent his school again, as a Grade 3 student. Being asked to participate is an honor in itself and I was already bursting with pride, even though I was nervous for him. He tied for second place in his division last year, what if he didn't place at all this year? I hoped he wouldn't be upset if he didn't at least place in the top three...

I sat in the bleachers today between my husband and my son's Grade 3 teacher, trying not to chew my nails down to the quick and praying my son would at least do well enough for him to take pride in his work. He's a smart child, and one of the top math students in his school... I knew he'd do okay, but was still jumpy about it.

Son wasn't jumpy at all. He did all of the questions, then sat with his TA and quietly played games on his IPad while everyone waited for the results...

Finally, the results were in... Son not only took first place, he had a PERFECT SCORE!

I screamed, Hubby did a fist pump and Son's teacher cheered! Son was so happy he started to run toward the three of us and had to run back to the podium to stand with the rest of the students who also placed!

I'm still in shock... I knew he would do well, but first place AND a perfect score? You can't get any better than that!

It just goes to show that kids on the spectrum CAN do anything they set their minds to!

To say I'm proud of our boy is an understatement... I'm an aspiring author and even I can't find the right words to describe the feeling of hearing his name being called for first place AND getting a perfect score!

Thank you to Son's teachers, past and present, both of the TAs he's had so far, and everyone else at his school for all of their help, and his preschool autism team... He couldn't have made it this far without any of you... THANK YOU!

And to all of the students who were asked to participate today and any other competition in the Knowledge Festival, you are all WINNERS in my book! Congrats for being asked to represent your school!

No comments:

Post a Comment